Hello, everyone. We are your trustable migration partner, OPARTNERS.
To gain an Australian visa, you will need to demonstrate your English abilities to the Department of Home Affairs. There are several types of English test accepted by the department, and depending on the visa subclass you apply for, your required level of English language proficiency will vary.
As you may already know, each English test has different characteristics and scoring system. Therefore, before you decide which exam you are going to take, it is recommended to understand different features of each test and the minimum scores required for the specific visa subclass.
■ Which English language tests are accepted by the Department of Home Affairs?
Currently, there are five English tests officially accepted by the Department of Home Affairs.
– International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
– Occupational English Test (OET)
– Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based test (TOEFL iBT)
– Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic test
– Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test
■ How much test score is needed for each visa?
The table below indicates that minimum English requirements comparing IELTS and PTE for the most common visas:
Please understand that due to the space limitation, only the most popular two English exams; IELTS and PTE will be compared. For more information, please refer to the department website. (https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/)
|TSS Visa||Short term||Band score
5.0 overall & 4.5 each
36 overall & 30 each
|Mid & Long term||Band score 5.0 each||Band score 36 each|
|Employer Sponsored Permanent visa||ENS||Band score 6.0 each||Band score 50 each|
|RSMS||Band score 6.0 each||Band score 50 each|
|Graduate Visa||Band score
6.0 overall & 5.0 each
50 overall & 36 each
|Independent Skilled Visa||+0||Band score 6.0 each||Band score 50 each|
|+10||Band score 7.0 each||Band score 65 each|
|+20||Band score 8.0 each||Band score 79 each|
* Both IELTS and PTE have 4 sections; Speaking, Listening, Reading, Writing. You will receive a score between 1-9 for each section of your test and the average achieved from each element comes to overall band score.
* In case of Independent Skilled Visa(+0), the minimum required score is IELTS band score 6.0 each, or 50 each for PTE, which is, however, the score you cannot gain any extra point. You will be given up to 20 points if you meet the higher condition as above.
■ When does the validity of English test expire?
You should attach a valid English test score when applying for a visa. English test is valid for 3 years for Australian visa application purpose.
Please note that the test score must be calculated from one sitting. For example, if you have received Listening 6·Reading 6·Writing 6·Speaking 6, your IELTS score will be band overall 6 even though you have achieved Listening 7 for the last exam.
We wish you all the best for your English test and further visa application as well.
If you need any professional consultation or assistance regarding any visas, please contact Opartners.
Australia Registered migration agent
Registration number. 0955026
Email inquiry : email@example.com
Telephone inquiry: +61 08 6454 9910
The information provided in this website serves as a general guidance only and does not constitute migration advice. We accept no responsibility for any consequences that arise from any action taken on the basis of the information available in this site. We recommend that people seeking advice on migration law should seek advice from a registered migration agent.